Monday, April 7, 2014

Author Interview with Sabrina Benulis, author of Covenant.

Covenant Banner 450 x 169

 

Today on the blog we have author Sabrina Benulis. Sabrina is the author of today’s book blast Covenant. We would like to thank Sabrina for stopping by today and sharing with us.

 

clip_image002About the Sabrina:

Sabrina Benulis graduated with a Masters in Writing Popular Fiction from Seton Hill University. She currently resides in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania with her husband Mike, and her spoiled cockatiel Caesar. COVENANT is the follow-up to ARCHON, her first novel.

http://www.sabrinabenulis.com/

https://www.facebook.com/SabrinaBenulis

https://twitter.com/sabrinabenulis

 

 

 

authorinterview

Did you always wanted to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?

I wasn't really aware of how much I liked to write until I entered college. When I was a child, I flip-flopped between all sorts of future careers, everything from paleontologist to actress. But I always loved to read and tell stories, and also to create my own characters and worlds, so the seeds were there for a long time.

When did you first consider yourself a “writer”?

The day I got accepted by my current literary agent, Ann Behar! That's when the dream started to become real!

How long did it take to get your first book published?

Total time, including getting an agent, took about two and a half years. Close to a year of that was getting the first novel in The Books of Raziel series from acceptance, and through the revision process, to becoming an actual printed novel.

Do you do another job except for writing and can you tell us more about it?

Right now, I am lucky enough to write full time. But I do hope to be a Super Mom someday too!

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarize it in less than 20 words what would you say?

Covenant, the second book in The Books of Raziel series, is obviously the newest. J It's about Angela Mathers, a young woman who must brave the door to Hell to rescue her best friend.

Who is your publisher? Or do you self-publish?

This book series is published by Harper Voyager, the global sci-fi/fantasy imprint of Harper Collins.

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?

I'd like to say a year, but if a first draft of a manuscript needs a hefty re-write it can take up to two years.

What can we expect from you in the future? ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?

I would love to continue writing fantasy books, but if a story popped into my head that called for another genre, I would consider pursuing. But that depends on a lot of different factors.

What genre would you place your books into?

The Books of Raziel series is paranormal fantasy.

What made you decide to write that genre of book?

It's always been about the story from the beginning. Honestly, I developed the idea long, long before the current angel craze that's taken over this genre in the past few years. Good timing, I guess!

Do you have a favorite character from your books?

And why are they your favorite? I love Troy. She's a Jinn, an immortal descendant of the angels, but she's pretty badass with teeth, and sharp nails, and hypnotic glowing eyes. She's really a force to be reckoned with!

How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?

I've been writing seriously since college. In high school, you could say I cut my teeth on fan fiction.

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?

All I require is a comfy chair and peace and quiet. I know people who listen to music, etc. but I am one of those who find it very difficult to work amid distractions.

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?

I do read them, but I also try not to if that makes sense. Negative reviews can be very damaging to a writer's self-esteem and confidence. We are very sensitive souls and take everything to heart, whether we want to or not. One nasty review can make it difficult to write for days. So I've learned to avoid them during crucial times when I really have to buckle down and work.

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?

The title technically follows the book for me, but often a publisher will change the title to something they find more appropriate/marketable if the need arises.

How do you come up with characters names and place names in your books?

Character names usually just come to me and are born along with the character. But depending on the mythology of the fantasy story, such a background also helps and provides a strong influence. It really depends on the story itself. The Books of Raziel series has real angel and demon names (though one or two have been modified to fit the story). Many of the place names are taken directly from esoteric texts that have to do with the angelic or demonic realms.

Are there any hidden messages or morals contained in your books? (Morals as in like Aesops Fables type of "The moral of this story is..")

I don't like to get too preachy with novels. It's very hard to pull off tastefully. My goal is first and foremost to entertain. But if you are talking about a theme--a good novel always has a theme tying its many pieces together.

Which format of book do you prefer, eBook, hardback, or paperback?

Really, each version has its pros and cons, and sometimes it depends on the book itself. But I will say honestly that, being someone who lives in a modestly-sized home, it's nice that e-books are always an option so I'm not eventually crushed in an avalanche of books.

What is your favorite book and Why? Have you read it more than once?

This is a very, very difficult decision, but I would have to say The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle. Oh, yes, I have read it many, many times! The story has a dreamy quality to it that just never seems to age or get tiresome at all, and it packs so much in such few pages.

 

Your favorite food is?

Vanilla cake with vanilla frosting . . . I get hungry just thinking about it!

Your favorite color is?

I love blue/teal. But lately, I'll also admit to a strong obsession with orange. It's just so bright and cheery!

If you would like to find out more about this amazing author check out the book blast below:

1 comment: