Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Author Interview with Shevaun DeLucia author of Eternal Mixture

Eternal Mixture Banner 450 x 169

 

 

Today on the blog we have author Shevaun DeLucia for an interview. Shevaun is today’s book blast author, Eternal Mixture. We would like to thank Shevaun for stopping by and sharing with us today.

 

 

authorinterview

 

Did you always wanted to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?

No, not always. Actually not at all up until the past five years or so. My love for books began my love for writing. During my teenage years, I wanted to model. Unfortunately, 5’3 didn’t quite cut it for the runway. Lol. I did do about a year and a half of college in my early teens/20s, changing my major a million times before letting everyday life take hold of me.

My love for writing grew on me, became a part of me. I can’t picture my life without it now.

When did you first consider yourself a “writer”?

Well, I guess when I published my book. I laugh when writing this only because it still feels weird telling people I’m an author when they ask. It’s still so surreal. It feels a little dreamlike. Maybe by the time my next book comes out, it will have sunken in and I’ll be a pro at calling myself a writer/author! Let’s hope!

How long did it take to get your first book published?

Once I made the decision to self-publish and not to send queries out to any agents, the process took about six months in total. I expect the next book to be a breeze on the publishing side. I’m well-versed in the process now!

Do you do another job except for writing and can you tell us more about it?

Yes. Other than being a mother, I work for a law firm that handles foreclosures. My department is only one of many on the totem pole that assist in the prepping stages of the court paperwork. It’s not the most glorious job, but the atmosphere is great, and I enjoy the people I work with.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarize it in less than 20 words what would you say?

Eternal Mixture is my first and only book so far. I’m going to sum this up by sharing a colleague/friends gracious words:

“I found the book compelling, well-organized and—hate to admit it, being a guy—but extremely romantic.” ~George Parulski.

Who is your publisher? Or do you self-publish?

I self-published. This may not be for everyone, but I felt it was right for me. My book was done, and I know the query process can take some time and patience, but I didn’t want to wait. I felt my destiny was in my own hands, and it was up to me to make my dreams come true. So, I took the leap of faith and jumped.

Don’t get me wrong; it has been a learning process along the way. I’ve encountered some bumps and hurdles, but nothing I couldn’t overcome. I was lucky enough to already have known an editor, Jinelle Shengulette, and a photographer/graphic designer, George Parulski. Without them, my experience may not have been as great. With either option, we all desire the same result—to see our book on the shelves next to other great authors.

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?

It took me about one year from beginning to end. I work full time and have four kids, so my writing usually happens when the house is dark and quiet. I hope at some point my career can be strictly writing, but until that day comes, I will continue to juggle. Whether it’s one year or one month, the end result is still the same. That’s all that matters!

What can we expect from you in the future? ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?

You can expect two more books for the Eternal Mixture series, for sure, and after that I would love to do some adult romance. Maybe add a little paranormal into the mix: a vampire or two! I love me some vampires! Lol.

What genre would you place your books into?

I would place Eternal Mixture in the YA paranormal romance genre.

What made you decide to write that genre of book?

I adore the teenage years. The time where you’re trying to figure yourself out while trying to figure out the world and exactly how you fit into this huge planet. Those years are monumental and form you into the person you become upon your adulthood.

Most of all, I love the first-time romances: the first kiss and the first realization that what you feel is love. This is a moment that one will hold for the rest of their lives. So, to be a part of it and experience falling in love all over again through these characters is amazing. We never get a chance to relive that one moment, but through my writing, I get that chance, and it’s beautiful!

Do you have a favorite character from your books? And why are they your favorite?

Brent, without a doubt! For one, his love for Raina is unconditional and pure. He’s loved her for his entire existence and never once faltered in his belief that their love could withstand anything that lies in their way. He absolutely adores her and cherishes the ground she walks on. Now that is what you call a real man!

How long have you been writing? and who or what inspired you to write?

I’ve been writing for the past five years, give or take. My inspiration is my children as well as the amazing authors that I find on my bookshelves. Each author has their own truly amazing story that not only inspired me but helped me understand that I am in control of my own dreams.

What I accomplish in this life will not only set the bar for my children, but will instill in them that anything you put your mind to is possible. I want to be my children’s inspiration, as they are mine.

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?

No. No certain routine. I enjoy coffee and sometimes a little TV and music when writing. It helps sometimes to be distracted when my writer’s block starts to kick in. Lately, though, I do tend to do a lot of my writing nestled in bed. It must be the cold.

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?

Of course! I encourage reviews, and I love to know my readers’ thoughts on my writing. I get giddy and excited when getting ready to read a review! I haven’t had a negative review as of yet, but good or bad, it all helps me to become a better writer and a more confident author.

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?

This time around, I was in the middle of writing Eternal Mixture before I chose the name. As for the next books in the series, I have a pretty good idea of what they will be titled. But honestly, it’s almost like naming a child. You have to get that feeling of absolute positivity, the feeling deep in your gut when you know with every inch of your soul that the name is perfect. It’s the same way when titling a book.

How do you come up with characters names and place names in your books?

My characters’ names came to me as I was writing the book, except for the name Raina and Edmund. I had decided on the setting of the book before the book was started. It’s hard to begin a story without a base. I guess you can say it’s the same as traveling somewhere without a destination. It’s almost impossible.

Are character names and place names decided after their creation? Or do you pick a character/place name and then invent them?

I can’t recall where or when I heard the name Raina, but I knew it would be the perfect name for her before the story began. As far as the name Edmund, I did some research on names and the time period of 1800s. I’d like to think Edmund’s name sort of chose me in a way.

Do you decide on character traits (ie shy, quiet, tomboy girl) before writing the whole book or as you go along?

Definitely as I go along. When I write, I almost play the scenes out in front of me, as if the characters are standing on a stage doing practice runs upon my command. I really never know what they’re going to say or do until they’ve done it or in this case, I’ve written it. But, I study them to find their faults, weaknesses, and their strengths just as I would during a first introduction in real life.

Are there any hidden messages or morals contained in your books? (Morals as in like Aesops Fables type of "The moral of this story is..")

The impossible is always possible.

Which format of book do you prefer, eBook, hardback, or paperback?

Paperback, for sure! I like the feeling of paper between my fingers and the smell of a freshly purchased book. I’m a book collector, and I love to see them on my shelves. It’s also nice to know I will never need a battery charged in order to read it.

What is your favorite book and Why? Have you read it more than once?

The Twilight Saga was my favorite YA book. I would have to say, embarrassingly, that I have read them about three times and watched the movies an uncountable amount of times. My daughter thinks I’m nuts! Lol. I just fell in love with the characters and the story. Plus, I am a sucker for vampires.

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favorite/worst book to movie transfer?

I think it really depends. I personally try to read the book first, no matter what! The books are always much better in my opinion. With the books, you get the small details of the setting, characters, and the intimate thoughts.

My favorite book-to-movie transfer was The Last Song by Nicolas Sparks. They did an amazing job transferring the emotional connection between the father and daughter in the end and the small romance was fun and cute.

I’m not sure I have a worst book-to-movie transfer, but what I can tell you is after seeing the previews, I was dying to see The City of Bones. I had not read the book, and I was highly disappointed in the movie, which in turn, shied me away from even wanting to read the book. I won’t make that mistake again!

Your favorite food is?

Mexican.

Your favorite singer/group is?

I enjoy Drake and Rhianna as well as Taylor Swift and a little Miley Cyrus!

Your favorite color is?

I love earth tones: brown, rusty orange, greens, and sky-blues.

Your favorite Author is?

Maya Banks is amazing! But she is for the mature audience only.

Remember to check out today’s book blast to find out more about this amazing author.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Eclipse Review's for having me as a guest here! I'm so happy you were a part of this tour!

    ReplyDelete