Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Author Interview with LRS, author of Launching Sisters @LaunchingSister

Launching Sisters to WitchCamp Banner 450 x 169

 

Today on the blog we have author LRS with us for an interview. We woul dliek to thank LRS for stopping by today and sharing with us. Here we go…

 

authorinterview

 

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?

 It’s a cliché, but when I was in grade school I truly did want to become an author, and create more of the magic that enchanted me so. However, in high school, I was a confidante to many a tormented teen, and that’s how I became infatuated with psychology. As it turned out, I did indeed study the field in college and graduate school.

When did you first consider yourself a “writer”?

My family relocated to Canada three years ago, and since I didn’t yet have my green card, I couldn’t work in my profession. I saw this as an opportunity to pursue my writing goals full time, and in retrospect, I’m delighted with our move for giving birth to the author within me.

How long did it take to get your first book published?

From its first muse to its publication, it took twenty one months.

Do you do another job except for writing and can you tell us more about it? At the moment I’m a stay-at-home mom, and my spare time is devoted to writing. Although my profession in the mental health field was fulfilling, there is no way I could juggle that, a home, and writing— and I’d hate to see the writing go.

Who is your publisher? Or do you self-publish?

MuseItUp Publishing. I so enjoy my experience working with the dedicated editorial and publishing team, and getting acquainted with the vast array of wonderful authors has been a support and a delight. Here’s the link to their bookstore:

https://museituppublishing.com/bookstore/

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?

Launching Sisters to WitchCamp only took me a few months, but then, it has fewer than 32k words.

What can we expect from you in the future? ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?

I have a YA fantasy being released soon, but that’s under a different pen name. It’s the first in a series and I will be wrapped up in this project for awhile. But eventually I would like to write another MG fantasy featuring the characters from Launching Sisters to WitchCamp, just for fun. I’ve enjoyed my time with them, and would hate to say a final goodbye.

What genre would you place your books into?

I’d say Launching Sisters to WitchCamp belongs in the Middle Grade Contemporary Fantasy genre.

What made you decide to write that genre of book?

Perhaps having a son the same age as the MC played a part, but I wrote for the MG genre as that is where my idea fit; I did not force the issue the other way around.

Do you have a favorite character from your books? And why are they your favorite?

I have issues with all the characters in Launching Sisters to WitchCamp, but if I had to get stuck with anyone, I’d pick Cookie. She’s sweet and kind, and in her I’d find a kindred spirit for my love of junk food.

How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?

Well, I’ve always been writing (essays, reports, assessments, goals, etc), but as for fiction, my answer would have to be five years. I was inspired to write by reading Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters, and the various clients that I featured in my psychological reports.

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?

By day I write in the playroom near a window overlooking the apple tree in my backyard. At night, I write on the chaise lounge in my dressing room. I usually reserve listening to music for when I work on my edits.

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?

I believe the title came to me during the first draft.

How do you come up with characters names and place names in your books?

In this work, for the most part, the characters were given names that had something to do with an attribute of theirs.

Do you decide on character traits (ie shy, quiet, tomboy girl) before writing the whole book or as you go along?

Characters who are true to themselves are so important to me, that I must know them well before writing.

Are there any hidden messages or morals contained in your books? (Morals like Aesops Fables type of "The moral of this story is..")

Most definitely. In this one, it’s: Think twice before getting rid of your siblings.

Which format of book do you prefer, eBook, hardback, or paperback?

I’d say ebook, but right now my Kindle is wasting away, and I have to fill in the blanks on the top third of each page. Basically, I’m rewriting the story; it’s a new kind of fan fiction.

What is your favorite book and Why? Have you read it more than once?

 Are You My Mother? by P.D. Eastman. It was the first book I read all by myself! I must have read it dozens of times to myself, and then after a lapse of many years, countless times to my kids.

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favorite/worst book to movie transfer?

As a kid, I remember being frustrated with book to movie transfers. As I’ve aged, I’ve come to tolerate the liberties taken. I do believe though, that had the Harry Potter movies been around when I was growing up, I would not have been disappointed.

Your favorite food is?

Chocolate chip biscotti with a mug of hot chocolate if you insist on “real” food. Otherwise, I have a long list of junk food that all are favorites.

Your favorite singer/group is?

These days I’m listening to a lot of Yanni’s recordings. I enjoy instrumental music.

Your favorite color is?

Mint green. I fell in love with the color in fifth grade, and it still evokes such a pleasant mood when I see it.

Your favorite Author is?

Oh, too many to list, but in the MG genre, J.K. Rowling and Kate DiCamillo top the list.

Remember to check out today’s book blast to find out more about this wonderful author and her work.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Janine for hosting me!

    Also, there's a contest up on my website:
    http://www.launchingsisters.com/contest.html
    Or, if you don't mind, visitors can leave a comment here, sharing a memorable anecdote of growing up with their siblings, and I'll enter it into the contest.
    Thank you!
    Wishing you many fun reads,
    LRS

    ReplyDelete