Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Author Interview: Cindy Paterson author of The Senses Series

Today I am joined by Cindy Paterson author of The Senses Series. Her latest edition Fall was just released. A huge thank you to Cindy for taking the time to do the interview.



Did you always wanted to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
Well, I’ve always written novels, since I was in my early teens. It’s been my passion. My dream. I’m excited every single day to sit down and write. I literally can’t wait to get up in the morning, no sleeping in for me on the weekends as I’d miss the best part of my day to write.

When did you first consider yourself a “writer”?            
Oh I’ve considered myself a writer since I was able to write a full sentence. But if you use the word author then that’s only with the release of my second book STEP that I hesitantly began calling myself an author. It’s an honor to say you’re an author and so many are my idols. I couldn’t put myself among them for a while and I still feel funny saying I’m an author because it’s my dream come true.
               
Do you do another job except for writing and can you tell us more about it?
God yes, I have to pay the bills. Ha. I run a veterinary hospital and am also one of the Veterinary Technicians. I’m mostly in surgery all day or looking after sick animals, drawing blood and taking radiographs. I’ve been with this hospital for way over a decade and I have an amazing team of staff. We work together perfectly.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarize it in less than 20 words what would you say?
FALL
An emotional character driven love story that digs deep into your soul and rips it out then pieces it back together.

Who is your publisher? Or do you self-publish?              
I self-publish and boy is it a lot of work. But worth every second. I’m lucky to have found an amazing editor and my cover artist is my brother who as you can see from all the Senses books rocks.

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
This totally varies depending on the book. JUMP was a few months, while STEP took about six months. Fall was in-between. As the series progresses it takes longer to write each novel because I have to make certain everything coincides with the other books. I keep a binder with detailed facts and character sketches. This helps me stay on track with what’s happened and the history of all the Senses. It’s tough, but I love being able to keep writing about the same characters. They are my friends now.

What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
Jumping up and down for the next in the Senses series. God, I wish I could write all day every day to get it out there. Really excited about the two characters it revolves around. If any of you have read FALL, then you’ll know exactly who I’m talking about.
Currently, I’m working on a contemporary romance that has my heart in its grasp. Not sure when it will be done, but I had this deep need to write it when it came to me and I’ve been going crazy ever since. Think I drive my work place nuts with all my ramblings about this novel. Poor staff was just getting over FALL, now I’m back at it.

What genre would you place your books into?
The Senses series is paranormal romance.

What made you decide to write that genre of book?
I just wrote what came to me and it happened to fall into the paranormal category. I love writing anything romance, and have written suspense, historical and now working on my contemporary. As long as it is an emotional character driven romance, it doesn’t matter the genre.

Do you have a favorite character from your books? And why are they your favorite?
Waleron—love him for his deep ingrained love for the Senses and of course for Delara. He sacrifices so much for the Senses. Unwavering. Willing to suffer horrendous torture. But he won’t let his emotions rule what has to be done. The guy is immoveable. A tough character to write as I want the reader to love him, yet it’s difficult to love him when he constantly hurts Delara and is unemotionally affected to the other Senses personal tribulations.
Oh but I love Xamien too. He is my book boyfriend. Hmmm, but Jasper is coming into play and damn he’s hot. Might have to change my bio. 

How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?
My mom gave me my first historical romance when I was in my early teens. Actually, think I just saw it and took it without her knowing. After that, I wrote my first full length novel. It was so bad, but I still have it.

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?
I write on my couch with my laptop. Music is always playing in the background and when I look up I can peer into one of my gorgeous aquascaped fish tanks. I love that. Usually one of the cats sits beside me curled into my right arm and my Yorkie sits on her pillow on the other side. Routine, well it’s simple—every free second I get—I write.

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
Yep. Of course. If someone takes the time to write a review, I think I owe it to them to read it. The compliments and praise are always inspirational and pushes me to write better and try harder, some have made me cry with pure joy. Other reviews offer some great criticism that has helped me with my writing. Why not take that.

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?      
The title of FALL was first, but I did know what the book was about being a series.

How do you come up with characters names and place names in your books?  
Well, the characters names are mostly from my head. I think about what type of character I’m writing and begin trying out names. Some names are instant like Jasper who you’ll meet in FALL. Badass mercenary who has no qualms about killing anyone who gets in his way. Waleron’s name I found in Sherrilyn Kenyon’s names book. Wonderful addition to my library.

Are character names and place names decided after their creation? Or do you pick a character/place name and then invent them?   
Most of the time, I have the character’s name as soon as I have a type of character in mind. It’s like being introduced to someone. If you know their name, you feel closer to them. Names are really powerful in how a character is perceived.

Do you decide on character traits (ie shy, quiet, tomboy girl) before writing the whole book or as you go along?            
I’m pretty neurotic about my characters. I want to know how they take their coffee, what type of underwear they wear, and yes what traits they have. But often this comes after I’ve started the novel. Maybe after the first few chapters and I have a feel for them, I get my binder out and start getting the details of who they are and how they’d react in certain situations. It’s different with the Senses series because there are so many characters and they grow with each book. Waleron perhaps has changed the most and you will see that in FALL.

Are there any hidden messages or morals contained in your books? (Morals as in like Aesops Fables type of "The moral of this story is..") 
I really hope so, especially with the second book STEP and Rayne’s difficult journey with Anorexia Nervosa. As I’m also a survivor, I was pretty determined to get the facts and the journey to recovery accurate. The therapy sessions are real, I had to do them myself. The novel needed to span months as even though this is fiction, I wanted the reader to know that it took Rayne a long time to finally get on her path to recovery. I worked extensively with my therapist to make certain I had Rayne’s thoughts and motivation clear and real. STEP will always be close to me for this reason and I hope readers understand the disease more clear after reading it.

Which format of book do you prefer, eBook, hardback, or paperback? 
All eBooks now. That way I can have any book at any time. Oh and download new ones wherever I am.

What is your favorite book and Why?  Have you read it more than once?           
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. The love story between Claire and Jamie had me in knots. The torture, the innocence, the conflict. Wow, it just brought me into Scotland and plunked me down with Claire. I never read a book twice. Never. There are too many books out there to enjoy and my TBR pile is huge. BUT I read Outlander three times and bought the audio book and listened to it a number of times. Still do when I’m stuck in traffic. The Narrator Davina Porter is fabulous.

Which is you favorite/worst book to movie transfer?
I loved Lord of the Ring’s as movies. The book (only made it through one) was a difficult read. I read the Hobbit as well and have yet to see the movie, so I’m excited to see how that plays out. I’ll let you know.

Your favorite food is?   
Old white cheddar cheese. I can live off this stuff.

Your favorite singer/group is?  
Nickleback.

Your favorite color is?  
Lavender.

Your favorite Author is?              
Diana Gabaldon.

About Cindy -

I am Xamien’s secret lover. Well, in my head I am and since I’m single this is completely allowed. Some of you may ask, who is Xamien, don’t worry you will meet him soon enough, but no falling in love with him. He is all mine.

Writing books is a fantastic way to have adventures that are impossible to have otherwise. I mean do you really want to fall in love with Waleron? He is so unstable and would never pick up after your dogs or clean the litter box. Not to mention the fact that he is always out killing disgusting grave robbing bug people.

Curling up with a good book and losing yourself to another time and place is the greatest reward. Being able to feel a character’s emotions, their fears, pain and love. Now that is incredible. I relish in the books that stay with me long after they have ended. This is what I strive for in my writing. To give the readers, and myself, an escape into another world, my world.

I have been writing since I was twelve. My parents, sorry mom and dad, would send me to my room for an hour every night to do homework, and instead I wrote stories. Oops, guess that is why I did so bad in math.

I have never stopped writing since then and never will. It’s like an addiction, but a good one. I adore stepping into the shoes of a character and deciding their fate. The characters are why I write. I want to fall in love with them (even the bad ones), so that I care about what happens to them in a story. If I can’t care about the characters then why bother with the story.

I live in Toronto with a menagerie of pets that keep me on my toes.





Blovel http://cindypaterson.wordpress.com/




FALL
Book 3 in the Senses Series
Cindy Paterson

Genre: Paranormal Romance

Date of Publication: May 7th 2013

ISBN: 978-0-9917327-1-5

Number of pages: 244 approx.
Word Count: 98,000

Cover Artist: Mark Paterson

Book Description:

“He’s destroying me—us. I need him like my next breath, yet I’m suffocating.”

An unrequited love that has ripped her to pieces.

Delara has loved Waleron for over a century. Their intense chemistry is sensual, gripping, irresistible. But tragedy struck, and after sixty-one years of believing he was dead, Waleron returns a tortured man. He claims the man she loves is dead, yet the undeniable sexual tension still pulls them together. 

“I am no longer the man you love, maitagarri. I am incapable of it.”

Waleron has given his oath to protect the Senses. He will sacrifice everything for them. But there is one Senses he has vowed to protect more than any other—Delara. He will do anything to make certain she is safe, even if it means he must deny her the love they once shared.

She is the hunted.

Delara’s life is in jeopardy and Waleron will do anything to protect her. But he never suspected that Xamien, the man he brings to help protect her is way more important to her than he ever knew.

Torn between two men and hunted by another, Delara must fight her hardest battle—herself.



No comments:

Post a Comment